Monday, July 28, 2014

FITspiration Lifestyle Tip #4: Prep & Plan

Hello my fit friends,  I am excited to dive into one of the most important FITspiration Lifestyle tips on today's post!  I am certain that this will ensure that you're giving it your best shot with starting (and keeping) a healthy, happy lifestyle.

Let's face it, we are a busy society.  Whether you are a busy SAHM or a working mom, there is always a never-ending "To-Do" List on top of your every day challenges.  Is it "easier" to go to a drive thru?  My answer is no!  It's not easy dealing with the sluggish feeling you have from eating overly processed food.  It's not easy struggling to wake up early, because of lack of energy due to eating junk.  It's not easy carrying around unnecessary extra weight.  Planning ahead with meal prep will be the key to making sure you are nourishing your body with an abundance of healthy meals.

I have found that setting aside a few hours on a Sunday to prep meals and snacks for the following week, makes my life feel a lot less hectic. I wake up knowing I have a jar of Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats awaiting me. 

I always have some sort of bar in my purse for an emergency snack, like my current fave Peanut Butter & Jelly Quest Bars (which by the way can also be a healthy dessert option, especially if you nuke it for 20 seconds)

Our last few Sundays, we have prepped grilled chicken to be used for a variety of recipes we already use.  Most of the time, the meat is what takes the longest to cook. Plus, we just love grilled chicken!  We also prepare a pot of black beans, diced tomatoes, and quinoa/brown rice medley.  Sofie loves it!

Here are some other meals/snack ideas that can be prepped ahead of time:

Breakfast: 

Lunch/Dinner:
4. Quinoa Fried "Rice"
5. Individual Salad portions

Sides/Snacks:
1. Mean Green Juice (one of our faves!)
3. Mixed Nuts
4. Protein Bars
5. Individual servings of Veggies or Fruit

You can do something as simple as making individual "grab-and-go" snacks.  I like to make our own Mixed Nuts and put them in tupperware.  Grab a handful to hold me over before dinner.  Get snack-sized ziploc bags and put carrots in there to be readily available as you run out the door.

...

The second part of this post can also be geared towards exercise.   There are certain "rituals" and habits that I find can prepare me to commit and succeed in my fitness goals.

I am "one of those" that prefer to workout in the morning, especially now that I have an active toddler that wakes up at 6am.  Allow me to re-phrase and state that I need to workout in the morning!  While I pump iron at the gym, Little Miss gets to have some social interaction with other kids/adults and let out some of that energy (she has a lot!)

Here is a list of what I personally do the night before:

1.Lay out workout clothes.
2. Pack my gym bag.
3. Pack Sofie's bag with her necessities.
4. Refill my purse with snacks (protein bar, banana, nuts)
5. Water bottle on my night stand.

This saves me a lot of time and stress!   It takes maybe 5-10 minutes versus 25 minutes the morning of, which includes a hungry toddler, hungry great dane, cup of coffee for my sanity, and squeezing in quality time with the hubby before he leaves for work.

If you plan to work out in the morning, go to bed an hour earlier so you can wake up and still feel rested.  If you want to work out on your lunch break, eat lunch at your desk while you wrap up emails.  If you want to workout after work, bring your gym bag and go straight to the gym.  Maybe even prep your dinner ahead of time so you can put it together more quickly.

When I finally decided to be more consistent with my routine, I started to make events in my calendar for my workouts.  Much like a lunch date or dentist appointment, it was something I committed to and needed to show up for.  Aaaaand maybe I am a little type A ;)
Most importantly, get your mind right! Preparing ahead of time will subconsciously get the wheels turning. As I lay my clothes out for the next morning, I am mentally preparing myself to wake up and start my day off on the right foot.  My hubby prefers to workout during lunch, or after work.  He gets his gym bag ready with everything he needs and brings it with him.

Being a busy mom can be overwhelming and stressful at times, and life happens.  Things happen that I may not be able to control, but at least I will feel as prepared as I can going into each day.  Like anything in life, being consistent will turn these "tips" into habits.  Going to the gym in the morning is now a habit and a part of my routine, much like making my daughter breakfast or going to the grocery store.  It's something I make time for in my daily life and I plan accordingly.

I hope this helps give you ideas on how you can plan or prepare yourself for staying committed to a healthier, happier life.

 xoxo
Lex

No comments:

Post a Comment